Adventures in Addis

In August 2006 I began my adventure to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Africa. I was offered a position as the Director of Band and Choir for 5-12th grade students at the International Community School of Addis Ababa. Thought it might be a good idea to record my experiences here. I would not have done this journal without a tremendously great friend that I love dearly offering me the idea. Thanks Sadina. I hope you enjoy the journal. -Chris

My Photo
Name:
Location: Addis Ababa, Africa, Ethiopia

I am a professional percussionist and music educator. I started my performance career in 2000 and my education career in 2002. I am a pretty laid back guy. I work too much. Sometimes I get carried away with how much time I spend at work. But, I do enjoy myself every chance I get.

Monday, August 07, 2006

Terrified Solitude

What did I get myself into? This is the question that has been going through my head ever since I stepped onto the plane. Most of you know how my personality works...I have a philosophy of , "It is what it is". This phrase has brought me through many challenging aspects of my life. As I arrived in Germany I had this feeling of overwheming excitement. I was laid over for about 4 hours. We arrived early to Frankfurt. As i ask questions most folks responded in German. I had no idea what was going on. For a person who has never left the country I had this feeling of terrified solitude. There were hundreds of people around me yet I felt so alone. Most people speaking languages I am unfamiliar with. So what do I do to pass the time...I found a bar. Much to my suprise I met 2 people from Texas on their way to Turkey (jennifer & tecoy). They happen to be musicains as well and are the same age as me. We chatted for about an hour to pass the time by. I also met an individual named Paul from Vancouver. He was reterning home from a hunting expidition in Zimbabwe.
My 3 hour layover wasn't too bad. I then hopped on the next flight to Ethiopia. I guess going out to another country on your own is a tremendous learning experience. It can be terrifying and amazing all at the same time. Well you know my favorite phrase.

"It is what it is!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home