Adventures in Addis

In August 2006 I began my adventure to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Africa. I was offered a position as the Director of Band and Choir for 5-12th grade students at the International Community School of Addis Ababa. Thought it might be a good idea to record my experiences here. I would not have done this journal without a tremendously great friend that I love dearly offering me the idea. Thanks Sadina. I hope you enjoy the journal. -Chris

My Photo
Name:
Location: Addis Ababa, Africa, Ethiopia

I am a professional percussionist and music educator. I started my performance career in 2000 and my education career in 2002. I am a pretty laid back guy. I work too much. Sometimes I get carried away with how much time I spend at work. But, I do enjoy myself every chance I get.

Friday, December 07, 2007

Nairobi and the GRE


Last week I traveled to the beautiful Nairobi, Kenya . I will do my best to describe what I saw, however, most of the time I was finding myself in awe and my understanding ineffable. Nairobi is like a smaller version of New York City. The many tall buildings coupled with historic architecture produced a city skyline that was very familiar to me. The streets were clean, people drive on the left side of the road, and no one urinates onto the streets. It was great!


I also noticed that the Kenyans who I ran into introduced themselves with English names. This is interesting, yet probably due to the British occupation of Kenya for a significant amount of time. One of my taxi drivers’ name was Kabugi, but he introduced himself as Bob. I hope this is not disrespectful, but I thought that this guy speaking English with a heavy Kenyan accent telling me that his name was Bob was very humorous to me.


The currency in Kenya is shillings. The ratio from Kenyan shillings to the USD is 65:1. So going out to eat for one person would generally cost you 10-15 dollars. That would be 650-975 shillings. A short distance taxi ride would be about 500 shillings. So even though it seems expensive, it really is not.

The purpose for this trip was to attend a teachers conference call ASIA (Association of Schools in Africa). I generally would not attend this conference due to the lack of music education clinics, however, it gave me an opportunity to see a new country, meet new people, attempt to do some kind of professional development, and (most importantly) take my GRE.



As most of you know, I started my masters program at ABC in Ashland, OR this summer. I also wrote my first book as well. You can view it or purchase it at lulu.com under the search of horn or French horn. I will be writing my next project on the study of the oboe which should be completed by January. Anyway, to continue on I need to pass my GRE and apply to Southern Oregon University before I can continue with my second summer of ABC.


I arrived on Saturday and had a beautiful and quiet hotel to stay in. So I began studying. The first three days in Kenya was eating, sleeping, and studying (and a drink here and there). On Tuesday was my exam. I was driven to the westlands area of Nairobi where the Frese Holdings building was located. The exam room was hot and the sun was blaring in my face. It was annoying. The cool thing is that since I took the exam on the computer, I found out my scores instantly.


I PASSED!!!

I will find out if I completely passed in 3 weeks when I find out my scores for the analytical writing portion, which I felt I did a decent job with.


The following day I moved to a hotel which was closer to the hotel that the conference was being held. It was definitely a step down. It was in the cheaper side of downtown Nairobi, but it served its purpose. It had a bed.


The rest of the trip I spent my time attending clinics in the daytime and getting to know colleagues in the evening. I got to know 3 other colleagues more intimately than the rest. This was my Nairobi crew. Bret from Australia teaches kindergarten at the school. This is his first year at ICS and, from what I hear, has left quite an impact on the students, staff, and parents in is short 8 weeks of being in Ethiopia. He is definitely a fun guy and great to chat with. We have hung out of a couple of occasions previous to the Kenya trip. Unlike Derek who I really did not get a chance to chat with since he moved here with his family this year. He is originally from Canada. Regardless of the short amount of time we have chatted, we definitely made up for it in Nairobi. He is our new elementary guidance counselor and the optimal match director. Derek is one of the most outgoing, funny individuals you will ever meet. He will just open up and make you feel right at home. He is a great guy.


And then there is Yidagachew Hailu. I never knew what to expect from Yidagatchew, but he blew my mind. This cat had me crackin’ up the whole trip. He was born in Ethiopia, but has not lived there for 18 years? Something like that. He now teaches math at the secondary level and coaches futbol. He will traveling to South Africa next week with his kids for the International Schools Eastern and Southern Africa futbol and volleyball tournament. I know they will do great.


Those last four days with these guys were great. They were my Nairobi crew. We went out to a variety of places creating tons of fun memories. One place we went to had a live band playing popular Kenyan music. They were the army band and they were awesome! The band leader came up to us and chatted. We eventually got to me being a percussionist and he invited me to play some congas the following night. I did and it was great…so great that I came on Saturday night as well.

I really had a blast with these guys . They made this trip memorable with an intense amount of good times. This is definitely the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you were doing anything over there or just sleeping and drinking? I am glad to hear that the band is going great and you had an awesome time in Kenya. I am jealious, but you will be jealious of me because we went to go see Wicked this weekend in Chicago and that was awesome also. TTYS bro.
Love ya,
Napper

Tue Dec 11, 04:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home