Adventures in Addis

In August 2006 I began my adventure to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Africa. I was offered a position as the Director of Band and Choir for 5-12th grade students at the International Community School of Addis Ababa. Thought it might be a good idea to record my experiences here. I would not have done this journal without a tremendously great friend that I love dearly offering me the idea. Thanks Sadina. I hope you enjoy the journal. -Chris

My Photo
Name:
Location: Addis Ababa, Africa, Ethiopia

I am a professional percussionist and music educator. I started my performance career in 2000 and my education career in 2002. I am a pretty laid back guy. I work too much. Sometimes I get carried away with how much time I spend at work. But, I do enjoy myself every chance I get.

Sunday, December 03, 2006

The Wizard of Oz


We have officailly finished the 2 month run of our 3rd-12th grade musical, "The Wizard of Oz". Now that the musical is over I can official go home on tuesday and thursday nights before it gets dark and I don't have to come in on the weekends. Its great! The kids did a remarakable job. The music has very thick harmonies that the orchestra and singers handled with grace.


I have been a little stressed with putting all of this together. This is my first large compositional undertaking, 34 tunes. The best part about it this situation is that I had to write fast and I believe I did it well.

Apart from the orchestra I hired playing beautifully, the main reason how I know it was a success when afterwards at the director's holiday party, one of the teachers came up to me and said, "Wow, I was so amazed by just having an orchestra for the musical. It was like Broadway. I could hear all of the parts in the instruments with the incredible harmonies...It brought me to tears."


At that point I realized that the music was a success. And noone, except for the the musical staff, knows I arranged the music. I was pretty excited. I feel like I just took the next step in my professional music career. This was the first time IO worked with an orchestra for a musical as the director. However, it would not have been possible if I did not have the many opportunites that I took on back in Michigan. All the musical gigs I played, the experiences I had a school, etc. And of coarse the patient famliy of mine that did not get to irritated with me when I could not stay to long a family gatherings or was not able to make to these experiences I had. Thanks.


Anyway, 5 performances down and 7 to go before christmas. Now I can just focus on our holiday concerts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Morgiana Le Fey said...

i can not tell you how happy i am for you! i'm glad you are rejoicing in your opportunities to learn and grow and do...i've always known how amazing you are! i miss. you. so. much. you have no idea. *hugs* smooches, brown suga!

Thu Dec 07, 09:11:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious to know why the community you're in now is so different musically from the one you just left. Obviously, you have a bigger budget, but the differences seem larger than that. You're putting on a lot of concerts, people are moved,dancing to the music. The audience participates. Why do you think the two cultures are so different musically? Do you think it has to do mostly with financial support, is it education, or is there something different culturally going on? I've been thinking a lot about it as I read your posts. Thanks for writing!

Wed Dec 13, 12:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home