Adventures in Addis

In August 2006 I began my adventure to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Africa. I was offered a position as the Director of Band and Choir for 5-12th grade students at the International Community School of Addis Ababa. Thought it might be a good idea to record my experiences here. I would not have done this journal without a tremendously great friend that I love dearly offering me the idea. Thanks Sadina. I hope you enjoy the journal. -Chris

My Photo
Name:
Location: Addis Ababa, Africa, Ethiopia

I am a professional percussionist and music educator. I started my performance career in 2000 and my education career in 2002. I am a pretty laid back guy. I work too much. Sometimes I get carried away with how much time I spend at work. But, I do enjoy myself every chance I get.

Friday, December 07, 2007

Addis Ababa Community Band

When I first was asked to work here at ICS, my principal proposed the idea of a community band during my interview process. If you know me this was music to my ears (no pun intended!) It has always been a dream of mine to have my own symphony orchestra or build a professional community wind and percussion ensemble. Last year was a challenge all on its own with building a secondary music program and getting adjusted to life in Ethiopia. We made some excellent opportunities for our kids and parents which, like all music educators, did not leave me with much time to create another ensemble.
This year I found a way to make it work.

I sent out emails to as many embassies and schools that I could. I really did not know what to expect for the first rehearsal. I did have many responses saying that they would be there, but I try not to get my hopes up too often. When I arrived, an hour and a half before the rehearsal, two students were waited for me from after school. (Talk about dedicated kids; I am so proud) They put up signs showing the direction to the band room on campus and set up the room. These guys are great – and of course they are from my low brass section.

Much my amazement, 27 people of staff, community members, and my students showed up. It was amazing. I was enthused that there was so much interest in wind band here in addis. I ended up with 3 clarinets, 6 flutes, 3 saxes, 1 cello, 2 bassoons, 1 trombone, 2 tubas, 1 euphonium, 6 trumpets and 4 percussionists. It was a fun time. Now, you have to understand that community ensembles have a wide variety of talent levels, it takes time to get everyone on the same page. I have one trumpet player who played horn in the Swedish Army Band and also played trumpet in a Ska Band in London. We also have players who played in high school and have not played since. It is absolutely wonderful to see a group of people with such a high level of multifariousness and our cultures together playing in band.

We have had three rehearsals so far and this last one was a great music making experience. We read down Russian Christmas Music by Alfred Reed and the ensemble got a kick out of it. We are going to attempt to put a concert together in December, but if that does not pan out, we will try one in February. I will keep you posted on the premiere of the Addis Ababa Community Band.

What a blessing

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,
I know you are always doing great things. How was the concert?
Love Mom

Tue Feb 26, 08:45:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home