Adventures in Addis

In August 2006 I began my adventure to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Africa. I was offered a position as the Director of Band and Choir for 5-12th grade students at the International Community School of Addis Ababa. Thought it might be a good idea to record my experiences here. I would not have done this journal without a tremendously great friend that I love dearly offering me the idea. Thanks Sadina. I hope you enjoy the journal. -Chris

My Photo
Name:
Location: Addis Ababa, Africa, Ethiopia

I am a professional percussionist and music educator. I started my performance career in 2000 and my education career in 2002. I am a pretty laid back guy. I work too much. Sometimes I get carried away with how much time I spend at work. But, I do enjoy myself every chance I get.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

ICS Addis


I wanted to take some time to show you guys what I get to see everyday. This is the road from my house that goes up to the school. You can seet the tall cement wall on the left. This is the ICS Facility.


Next is the main security gate which has around the clock guards. The following pic shows the parking lot and cafeteria and gymnasium.







The campus is absolutely beautiful. I believe it is great for the kids morale and spirit to go outside inbetween classes and to have so much beauty to look at.


The band room is not in great condition. I am not a big fan of tier floors. Especially with such a small space to work with. However, I have a big office that I can stick a piano in, a desk, bookshelf, a few file cabinets, and still have room to run a 4-5 person sectional. We are in the process of building a performing arts facility on top of the current outdoor area that we use for performances.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mo and The Purries said...

So, how did you get NO people in any of your photos of the school? Were you the only one there that day? When do classes start? What does ICS stand for?
Are you shopping for groceries & cooking your own meals, or do you go to restaurants or the school cafeteria (other than the egg-burger, of course!!!)?
Sorry so many questions -- this is just very interesting to me!

Wed Aug 16, 05:26:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris, It looks great. Is ICS providing the instruments, books, materials you will need to teach both vocal and instrumental music? This is an incredible opportunity for you to soar!!! Love Mom

Wed Aug 16, 10:21:00 PM  
Blogger Janna said...

We'll be thinking of you here in the U.S. next week, when we start our first new band rehearsal of the fall season!
Take care over there, and keep us posted!

Sun Aug 20, 03:47:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dammit..Update. It's now Aug 24th and enquiring minds want to know if you've assumed the role of spirtual leader, Head Pimp or King of Ethiopia!

:-P seriously..just want to make sure you're doing ok.

Fri Aug 25, 12:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, the pictures are great--really appreciate the window into this part of the world. But I am wondering about the food--are there any traditional foods in Ethiopia, any unusual traditions that have to do with eating?

Sat Aug 26, 03:01:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dianna
So glad you told be about your blog spot. I have never been in this area before as don't know anybody who has one. What a wonderful experience and what wonderful friends and family you have. I am so jealous of the adventure you are taking. You will bring such joy to your new family. They will miss you as we do when your time is up. I agree with all of the comments so I won't ask any questions I will just read all of your journal as it appears. Later I will get inquisitive. Take care of yourself and experience it all.

Miss you!!!! at RHS

Tue Aug 29, 08:54:00 PM  
Blogger Mo and The Purries said...

so... since it's been two weeks since the last post....
are we to assume that either you have NO internet connection, you've been too busy with the new school year, or a tribe of cannibals has decided that Camerooni goes great with rice?

hope you're ok ~morgen

Fri Sep 01, 03:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home