Adventures in Addis

In August 2006 I began my adventure to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Africa. I was offered a position as the Director of Band and Choir for 5-12th grade students at the International Community School of Addis Ababa. Thought it might be a good idea to record my experiences here. I would not have done this journal without a tremendously great friend that I love dearly offering me the idea. Thanks Sadina. I hope you enjoy the journal. -Chris

My Photo
Name:
Location: Addis Ababa, Africa, Ethiopia

I am a professional percussionist and music educator. I started my performance career in 2000 and my education career in 2002. I am a pretty laid back guy. I work too much. Sometimes I get carried away with how much time I spend at work. But, I do enjoy myself every chance I get.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Food Dude!!!


So many of you have been so curious about the amazing, exotic, tastey food we have here is Ethiopia. You know, the rumors were correct. Ethiopia has the best food. My Mamita, Wobitu, (bless her heart) is amazing! I know I have said this many times in emails and on this blogspot. However, I don't think some of you understand what this lady does for me on a daily basis. She prepares these huge meals for and sets everything thing up as if I am in a resturant. Everything is so elegant and she will not allow me to help set up or clean up. When my shoes are dirty from the mud outside, she cleans them for me. My clothes are washed everyday including my sheets, (I believe my mother will be happy about that, hi mom!!!). She does all the shopping, pays my bills for me (i give her the money and she takes care of it). Wobitu makes my life so much easier. I can actually focus on being the best music educator I can be. That is her and I in the upper left hand corner. She's like a mom to me. I give her a hug everyday and she always gives me a big smile and a kiss on the cheek. She rocks!!!


Continuing on, one of the best foods I have tasted here is injeria (I believe that is how you spell it). It is a flat, spongy bread that you put wot on. Wot is any kind of mixture of meats, sauces, vegetables, etc. Generally the wot is on the creamy side. You then ripe off a piece of the injeria bread with one hand and pick up some wot. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.......man that's good! There is this place on campus that sells is for 6 birr ($.80) everyday. I think my mamita's injeria is better but I am also kind of bias too. Now there are many kinds of food that I haven't had yet, but I would have to say the injeria is the best so far!


You might be suprised about the type of food here. It is pretty musch the same as the states. We still have burgers, fries, lasagne (this is huge here), mashed potatoes, salads, tons of the best coffee (bunna) in the world, condiments, etc. Now the sugar is very big grains due to the lack of processing (you can see in the pic). There are bars that of coarse serve beer. Ethiopia has some great beer here like Bati, Castel (by the way on the label of Castel Beer reads "The Queen of Beers",,...go figure that!) and many other beers.


It is important that i have a water filter in the house. We should not drink the water here. Especially with all the cholera going around. I have been reading that there are thousands dying in Ethiopia from diarhea. So I brush my teeth, make my coffee, drink, and cook with bottled water.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris, It's great to hear from you again. Sounds like your life gets better each day. Tell Mamita Wobitu she is spoiling you. You will not get that kind of help at home.:) Love Mom

Mon Sep 04, 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger Kelvin said...

Hell0 from New Zealand. I was searching the blog world when your blog popped up. Interesting reading. I ahve mentioned your blog @ #473 on my blog 21 21 21 Blogs

Tue Sep 05, 07:36:00 AM  
Blogger Mo and The Purries said...

Hey there Chris: glad to know you're being taken care of so well! Cheers ~morgen

Tue Sep 05, 05:46:00 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

Great blog!! Sounds like you are living an interesting adventure.

Tue Sep 05, 06:15:00 PM  
Blogger Jill said...

PS: Are you a music teacher? I'm a music teacher in Honduras and it is really fun!

Tue Sep 05, 06:17:00 PM  
Blogger S said...

you're really livin' the life over there, chris! ;) i'm so glad you have warm people around you. you deserved to be surrounded by smiles.

love love love,
sadina

Wed Sep 06, 06:53:00 PM  
Blogger Janna said...

Interesting!
Glad you like the food.
Yes, definitely use bottled water and stay away from the cholera. :)
Thanks again for updating the blog. We were starting to wonder about you!

Mon Sep 11, 01:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hadn't checked in a while, so glad to see you updated us. You are living a wonderful life. and yo deserve it. Glad to hear they serve our normal foods over there. We have started school and will be serving our lasagna in a couple of weeks. I know you miss our cooking, but you are very spoiled now.

Miss you
Dianna

Tue Sep 12, 09:32:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey handsome!

I am sooooo very jealous! I want a Mamita!

Miss you!

Jenn

Wed Oct 04, 01:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home