Adventures in Addis

In August 2006 I began my adventure to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Africa. I was offered a position as the Director of Band and Choir for 5-12th grade students at the International Community School of Addis Ababa. Thought it might be a good idea to record my experiences here. I would not have done this journal without a tremendously great friend that I love dearly offering me the idea. Thanks Sadina. I hope you enjoy the journal. -Chris

My Photo
Name:
Location: Addis Ababa, Africa, Ethiopia

I am a professional percussionist and music educator. I started my performance career in 2000 and my education career in 2002. I am a pretty laid back guy. I work too much. Sometimes I get carried away with how much time I spend at work. But, I do enjoy myself every chance I get.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

My Addis Family


I would like to introduce you to some very special people in my life here in Addis. The people that you see are some of the new teachers that arrived with me on the very same flight. Over the past 5 weeks, these people have been the main reason why I have not lost my sanity. We have stuck together and helped one another through our transition to Ethiopia. I consider these folks my family. I have been so blessed to have all of them in my life.

In the bottom left corner of the above picture is Dr. Rob. Originally from England, spent his last international posting in Beijing with his wife Kathy (lady on the right)and son Michael (guy on the far right). Rob is a very unique individual. He has this illustrious talent for making every situation he encounters a valuable and fun experience. In other words, he just makes you feel good no matter what kind of mood you or he are in. I guess that is why he is a perfect fit for his job as the school counselor.


Kathy, Rob's wife, is the elementary music educator. For the first time in my professional career, I have this amazing women who demonstrates extreme enthusiasm not only in the classroom but also in her daily life....and I have the opportunity to work with this wonderful lady!!! How sweet is that! Now, many of you know the circumstances from which I came were not ideal in regards to the people I was working with. I feel as if I am in heaven working with Kathy. I believe that, between the 2 of us, we are going to take this music program to new heights which these folks have never seen! I am truly excited to work with and know this wonderful lady.


The other 4 people in the picture are Jennifer (upper left), her daughter Katrina (top), her son Lars (being held by dad), and her husband Joergen. They lived in Argentina for the past 9 years and another international school. Jennifer teaches IB English. For those of you who do not know, IB stands for International Baccalaureate. It is kind of like an AP course program, but more intense from what I have learned. Jennifer is such a great lady. So sweet and so kind and creative. She is one of those people makes things work. I love being around her.

Joergen is the IB cordinator and and history teacher. It is challenging to find words to describe this guy. Joergen was the first teacher that I met. I saw him and his family at the airport in Frankfort, but did not have an opportunity to say hello. I recognized them from the picture they sent my principal. This is the strange part though...on the flight here to Addis Joergen was stopped by my seat as he was walking back to his due to the flight attendant serving drinks in the aisle. I thought that he might be the guy in the photo and introduced myself. Man, I'm glad I was right. I hate feeling like a complete tool. Ever since we have been cool.

Joergen has a unique personality. He is riduculously intelligent, yet he doesn't boast. I mentioned earlier that he is challenging to describe becuase he is a very professional, take care of business type of individual and at the same time he is this laid back, cool cat to be around. Not only is he a good husband and father, but he he has a great heart. Except when he is taking my money in poker...just playin'!!!


Now those insecure folks at home, don't start freakin' out. I am not replacing anyone. Those who I consider my family have a very special place in my heart and always will through hell and highwater. Those who are truly a part of my family understand this concept.

So, this is my family here in Addis. It's great. It's like having 2 pairs of older brothers and sister and a couple of nephews and a niece. Life is easier because of these people that I have grown to love.

3 Comments:

Blogger Morgiana Le Fey said...

I'm glad you have folks around you that you can relate to and have fun with and stuff (.= HWS misses you, but it sounds like you are having just an AWESOME time! I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!! (.=

Tue Sep 19, 11:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you are surrounded by loving people. I'm also so happy for you that they are soooooo much easier to work with than the folks you left. Remember I have been here for 18 years now and I KNOW!! We are a totally sports oriented school and it won't change, but you sure opened a few eyes!!! I loved coming to the concerts!!!! My kind of entertainment!!!! Missing you!! Still haven't formally met the new guy. See him at a distance!!! He don't know what he's missing!!!

Sat Sep 23, 08:50:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,
This is your old neighbors -- The Bradleys (Glen, Judy, Kristin & Scott). We love reading your blog. We understand all about "family" being those who support and love you, and isn't it nice how it grows!!! You're an awesome young man, accomplishing great things. We love you. Norma (your mom) had breakfast with us this morning. Don't freak out -- it just took a half hour to bring her over here because the snow was so deep (do you remember snow?) Check your email for some winter wonderland pictures (you remember Michigan???)

Sat Mar 03, 02:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home