Adventures in Addis

In August 2006 I began my adventure to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Africa. I was offered a position as the Director of Band and Choir for 5-12th grade students at the International Community School of Addis Ababa. Thought it might be a good idea to record my experiences here. I would not have done this journal without a tremendously great friend that I love dearly offering me the idea. Thanks Sadina. I hope you enjoy the journal. -Chris

My Photo
Name:
Location: Addis Ababa, Africa, Ethiopia

I am a professional percussionist and music educator. I started my performance career in 2000 and my education career in 2002. I am a pretty laid back guy. I work too much. Sometimes I get carried away with how much time I spend at work. But, I do enjoy myself every chance I get.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

Hillsdale Wind Symphony



I have been having an amazing time in Addis. I never thought that I would be deserving or would have the opportunity that I have right now. However, don't think that I have not forgotten about where I come from. So I thought I might pay a special tribute to a group of people who have made quite an impact on my life. The Hillsdale Community Wind Symphony is under the direction of the infamous Robert Livingston. Since its inception 4-5 years ago, the symphony has taken many amazing musical journeys. The ensemble consists of a variety of age and experience, yet the musicality demonstrated by the group is exceptional. I may be on the biased side because I was a member for just under 3 years. It has been my honor to work with such a great group of individuals.


Unlike many professional and community ensembles like this one, the Hillsdale Wind Symphony creates this family-oriented performance and rehearsal setting. If you speak with some of the members they would mention that they go to the weekly rehearsals not just to prepare for a concert, but to therapeutically release their stresses from the week by sharing music with others in a musically fun way.

I do need to mention the picture below. This picture is of me conducting the Wind Symphony at our spring concert in May of 2006. That moment is something I will take with me for the rest of my days. I have had the opportunity to conduct the wind symphony on a number of occasions, but this is the one that is very near to my heart. Once I made my decision to leave my previous position as the director of bands at Reading high school, I did not want to leave without my students knowing how much I cared for them and how proud I was of them to overcome so much adversity to make great musical experiences. So I wrote an arrangement of a vocal piece entitled "Go 'Way from my Window" for wind band. That picture is me conducting the premiere of the piece I dedicated to the Reading High School Concert Band. One of my students was performing in the alto sax section that night. It was a pretty emotional experience for me. Now most of you know I handle my emotions fairly well. After I put down the baton I had to leave to go ball my eyes out.

The Hillsdale Community Wind Symphony made quite an impact on my life and many others. I feel blessed to be part of such a great organization with phenominal people in it. Not to mention the joy we bring to the community.

I think I can speak for everyone in the symphony and the community when I say, "Thanks for making a difference in our lives Bob!!!!"

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Chris, your words about the Wind Symphony touched me.

love ya man

b

Fri Sep 15, 01:37:00 AM  
Blogger Janna said...

we miss youuuuuu!!!!!

Fri Sep 29, 11:57:00 PM  
Blogger caamich said...

Bless your heart, Chris. *hugs* (I was doing a Google search for images to make thank you cards for some people in the band, and a search for "Hillsdale Wind Symphony" led me straight to your blog!) Take care, and God bless.

Tue Nov 07, 08:48:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whar a beautiful country you're living in , chris, even with it's turmoil, i almost envy you. I miss you for your mother's sake. Norma, is a dear old friend with whom I hope to renew our friendship. You were alway a litte percocius youngster. And you still have "that" look.

Your father introduced me to my husband.

Sheila m

Sat Jan 13, 02:23:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always knew you would do something special even when you were a child. You've always had a joyful spirit and I feel blessed to have been able to watch you grow up and become the wonderful man you are. May God continue to bless you in your journey.
Love you. Mary and Tom Conte

Sat Feb 10, 09:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home