Adventures in Addis

In August 2006 I began my adventure to Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, Africa. I was offered a position as the Director of Band and Choir for 5-12th grade students at the International Community School of Addis Ababa. Thought it might be a good idea to record my experiences here. I would not have done this journal without a tremendously great friend that I love dearly offering me the idea. Thanks Sadina. I hope you enjoy the journal. -Chris

My Photo
Name:
Location: Addis Ababa, Africa, Ethiopia

I am a professional percussionist and music educator. I started my performance career in 2000 and my education career in 2002. I am a pretty laid back guy. I work too much. Sometimes I get carried away with how much time I spend at work. But, I do enjoy myself every chance I get.

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Maskal


Today is a special occasion for the people of Ethiopia. Today is Maskal (Celebration of the finding of the true cross). When I attempted to learn about the history of Meskel I was a little 'taken back'. It's great that I have an open mind and enjoy learning about people and cultures. Well, this is why-


It is said that 500-600 years ago Queen Helena attempted to find the true cross of Jesus Christ. She bundled up some sticks and set them on fire on top of a hill while buring insence. As she prayed to find the true cross, the smoke from the fire blew in the northeast direction (towards Jerusalem). This spiritual smoke lead her to the true cross and it is said that she found a piece of it and is currently in a secured location approximately 700 kilometers northeast of Addis Ababa.


In honor of this holy day a large area was built in commemoration of this holy day in Addis Ababa. On the eve of this day many people gather in the appropriately named Meskel Square. From what I hear the traffic circle becomes a vast sea of people. The place is packed. When everyone finally gets together the take these bunbles of sticks that are wrapped together with yellow (maskal) flowers and ends up being approximately 6.5 ft. long.


The takes these bundles and stack them up to create a large bonfire. When all of these bundles are put together it creates a bonfire pit about 40ft. high. At the top of the bundles lies a cross made with these sticks also wrapped in meskel flowers. Then they light in on fire.


When the budles and cross burn for long enough the cross falls down. The direction in which the cross falls is said to predict aspects of life for that year (prosperity, famine, sickness, health, etc.)


The school is closed on this day, but we had a meskel celebration at the end of school yesterday to commemorate the day. We had an assembly in the gym that consited of my african drumming class kids playing, cultural history of meskel presented by MS students, and of coarse, the maintenance staff performing a ceremonial story and dance with singing. It was an amazing experience. After the assembly is done we went to the baseball field to watch the bundles of sticks being burned with the cross on top.


Many neighborhoods have their own cross buring ceremony. I went to the one near Kathy and Rob's place with Jeorgan, Jennifer and the kids. Rob and Kathy invited us over for some food first and then went to the ceremony. The people who organized it set up a tent on the residence propertiy with tables elegently set up. They provided us with food and drinks and even an Ethiopian delicacy, raw meat. I chose to pass on the meat! But there were many other food items there to eat. I thought this was a great way to not only celebrate but to meet our neighbors as well.


Now my thoughts on this ceremony was, "So you burn crosses, huh?!?!" Now as most of you know back in the states, buring crosses has never been a religious celebratory thing. As a matter of fact burning crosses are a little more negative. As in a sign of hate towards a group of people (from my experience, black folks). So this is why I was a little taken back when I first heard of this Maskal Celebration.

I'm glad I keep an open mind to many things!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Chris. What a creepy (at first) experience this must have been for you! But the connection of this ritual celebration to Christianity is also very interesting; it's amazing how various cultures affect the way Christianity is understood and observed. I'd be interested to find out more about religious celebrations/influences in Ethiopia. Thanks for sharing all of these experiences and reactions--it's a great window for us!

Wed Sep 27, 11:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cross burning kkk wow!

I so enjoy visiting your site!! You are experiencing a lot of different ways of life. I would have bowed out on the raw meat also. I look forward to each time I open your site. Knowing I will learn of something new and interesting. Missing you.

Sat Sep 30, 04:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely fascinating. Learned something new today. Did anyone bring marshmallows? :-P

Miss ya! Glad you're having a great time.

~K

Sun Oct 01, 03:11:00 PM  
Blogger Morgiana Le Fey said...

wow...that's astounding...dang, cultural differences are incredibly interesting...

*hugs* you already know (.=
morgian

Tue Oct 03, 11:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey hun!

It almost makes me wonder were the origin of the KKK cross burning stuff came from? Did the KKK turn this interesting spiritual ceremony around into something terrible on purpose since it seems to be an important part of AFRICAN Culture? No, probably not. They aren't that bright.

Anyhoo, I love your posts and pictures! You look like you are doing very well :)

Hugs and kisses,

Jenn

Wed Oct 04, 01:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris -

Sorry we've been so long in acknowledging your blogspot. You know your father's technological skills (!) and mine aren't much farther advanced! We try to keep up but we've moved and still don't have the DSL running. But we are fascinated by your experiences and are so proud of you! You seem so happy and your new family is wonderful!

Erin, my daughter, is also now in South Africa working with a charity. Her blogspot is whereintheworldiserin.blogspot.com.We'd love it if you could get together and share your experiences. She'll be there 2 years, I'm sure, if all goes well.

You're an amazing man and the school is blessed to have you! We love you! Pat and Dad

Thu Oct 05, 02:42:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just visited the site to see what was up and nothing new. Hope all is well. I spoke with the new band director thru the window Friday. That's as close as we have been. He doesn't know what he is missing. I'll check back again soon.

Dianna

Sun Oct 08, 04:23:00 PM  
Blogger S said...

chris! you're so kind, giving me permanent props so prominently on your blog! you really know how to make a girl miss you. :)

hugs and love!
sadina

Mon Oct 09, 10:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Chris,
Jenny sent us your website and we are sooooooo grateful for that, and for you----for putting together this terrific journal, for your amazing heart and friendship with our kids, and for giving us so many more special insights into life there in Addis. We will be arriving in Addis on December 14th. We can't wait and are already packing. We look so forward to meeting you in person.
Jenny's mom, Ann Piehl

Sat Oct 14, 02:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WoW,Chris nice to here you! i am so proud ,u enjoy and you spand a great time in Ethiopia .i'm Ethiopian i am so happy whan i reading ur information
Bless u.

Wed Dec 29, 12:53:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home